Are Your Minors Traveling Unaccompanied? Know What Kid's Travel Documents are Needed
Do your kids have spring break plans—with our without you? Learn more about the difference between adult and child passports and when you need special documentation to travel with children. For more information, don't hesitate to bring up some of the following issues when talking to your airline.
Obtain passports for your kids.
Some people neglect passports when their kids are infants; all U.S. citizens are required to have them for international travel from birth on.
Know the rules about getting passports for kids.
Both parents–guardians must be present when trying to obtain a child's passport. If it's not possible for both parents–guardians to be present, the absent party must provide a notarized Statement of Consent. If one parent has sole legal custody, specific paperwork must be present.
Watch passport expiration dates.
Under age 16, passports are good for only 5 years, unlike the 10-year span of an adult's passport.
Observe single parent rules.
Parents flying solo with a child will need written consent from the other parent when flying internationally. Not all agents ask for it domestically (some phone reps will tell you not to bother), but it's best to be prepared.
Know what unaccompanied minors will need.
Children flying alone require Unaccompanied Minor forms, and some airlines, particularly on international routes, also require notarized proof (sometimes from both parents) that the child has permission to travel alone. Contact the airline to make sure you know exactly what forms will be needed.
Photo Credit: MariaPavlova / iStockPhoto
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com