Save money and buy Eurail Passes before leaving for Europe.
You can buy passes in many major European train stations, but prices are typically 20% higher than if you buy in advance online, and not all types of passes are available. Note that Eurail Passes aren't honored in Britain. They are effective in the following 25 countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Montenegro, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
You May Also Like
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
A few more tips:
1. Don't assume you need a railpass until you've checked what point to point tickets would cost.
If I came to the States, I wouldn't buy a $700 Sooper-Dooper Trans-America airline pass just to make two Jet Blue budget flights that I could easily pick up online in advance for $50, would I???
2. And when costing the railpass option, you need to factor in the significant reservation surcharges that now apply to almost every fast train in France, Italy or Spain, or on the Paris-Brussels-Amsterdam route, for example. For example, every long-distance trip in Italy or Spain will set you back 10 euros in addition to the cost of the pass.
3. Don't rely on US websites claiming to compare railpass costs with point to points. They often only show the full-price point to point fare, not the one that actually applies if you pre-book. That's like only comparing the air fare that applies if you walk into the airport and buy a flight ticket on the day of travel! As with air travel, few travellers by train in Europe now pay the full price. We buy cheap tickets in advance.
4. Western European rail operators now have airline-style pricing. For example, Amsterdam to Paris costs just 45 euros without a pass (including reservation!) if you pre-book at www.thalys.com, just 6 euros more than the whopping 38 euros surcharge (2nd class - it's a massive 62 euros in 1st class) that Thalys now charge if you hold a railpass. That makes a railpass a very expensive way to save 6 euros!!
5. Book direct with the European train operators to see the cheap European prices, with no booking fees or other surcharges. You usually either collect tickets at the station or even print them out yourself.
www.bahn.de for any journey within, or to or from, Germany. Will also book the sleeper trains direct from Amsterdam to Prague, Copenhagen, Zurich, Munich, and from Zurich to Prague.
www.trenitaliacom for any journey within, or starting within, Italy.
www.tgv-europe.com for any journey within or starting within, France (but say you're from Canada if you're from the USA to avoid being bumped to their US subsidiary Rail Europe)
www.sbb.ch for any journey starting in Switzerland.
www.renfe.com for any journey within Spain, or the direct sleeper trains between Spain and Paris, geneva, Zurich, Lisbon, Milan, in either direction.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $204 & up -- 4-Star Toronto Hotel, Pay Birth Year for 2nd NtSheraton Centre Toronto
- $859 & up -- Mediterranean 7-Night Summer CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $18 & up -- Baltimore: Admission to 9 Museums, up to 25% OffFeatured Destination: Baltimore
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & ToursLatinEscapes.com
- $874* & up -- Flights to Japan on Sale (R/T, w/Tax)Featured Destination: Japan
- $1512 & up -- Irish Escape: 7-Nt. Multi-City Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations