Top 6 Experiences for Girls Weekend Getaways
In honor of Mother's Day (Sunday, May 8th), we asked our Facebook followers to vote for their ideal girls-only getaway. What was the number one activity? According to 36% of you, your favorite female bonding pastime is simply relaxing by the pool or beach. Whether you are planning a mother-daughter outing or any ladies-only escape, we've got the classic girls weekend destinations covered plus some of our insider favorites.
Not seeing your ideal activity listed below? Be sure to follow Fodor's on Facebook to vote on future questions and have your voice heard—or leave a comment below.
1. Relaxing by the Pool or Beach
Over one-third of respondents agreed on this top activity—proof that bonding doesn't always involve packed schedules. For a group, consider renting a condo or a house, many are available even for just a few days in prime shore locations. From Key West to Waikiki, ocean options abound but don't discount lake-side locales either. Bring the latest gossip mags for some quality reading, though be warned you might get tempted to treat yourself with a celeb-worthy cabana rental.
Whether you are looking for a full detox or just a bit of pampering, ask any potential spa about specials for duos or groups. The best destination spas are concentrated in Southwest spiritual centers like Santa Fe, New Mexico and Sedona, Arizona. But day spas abound elsewhere, so be sure to sign up for social couponing sites for other cities before you travel: many of the deals from Living Social and Groupon are spa-oriented.
3. Wine Tasting
If you have enough ladies, consider booking a tour for a day of exploring wineries—or even splurging on a limo, to take the pressure off your designated driver. Sonoma, Napa, and Oregon's Willamette Valley are tops for award-winning wines and stunning scenery. But East Coasters have some great grape options too, such as New York's Finger Lakes and Ontario's Niagara Wine Region.
4. Outdoor Adventure and Exploring
Adventurous ladies should consider soaking up the views at a U.S. or Canadian national park or cruising on a classic road trip. For a little more adrenaline with your bonding, you don't have to go all the way to Costa Rica for zip-line tours anymore. In recent years, many thrilling new canopy tours have opened up outside of the rainforest, like Hunter's New York Zipline in the Catskill Mountains.
5. Cocktail Celebrations
Sure, Las Vegas, Miami, New York City, and New Orleans are classics for dancing and drinking but don't forget the smaller and sometimes more affordable options. Austin, Memphis and Nashville are a must for music-lovers. For a side of gambling outside of Vegas, there's always Atlantic City with its sleek Borgata or choose from a growing number of resort casinos—with clubs, hotels, and entertainment—such as Foxwoods in Connecticut.
Look for destination inspiration on the shopping bags of famous designers: New York. Los Angeles. London. Paris. Rome. Even if a girls trip to Europe isn't in today's budget, it's always great to have something to save for in the future. For a different take on outlet shopping, visit Manchester, Vermont or Freeport, Maine for cute New England towns with downtown outlet stores done in traditional architecture. Wherever you go, don't focus solely on chains, as some of the best thrill is in the hunt for local finds.
Photo Credits: Barsik / iStockPhoto, wihteorchid / iStockPhoto
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com