Best Hotels In and Near Yosemite National Park
At 1,500 square miles, Yosemite is so large that where you stay greatly affects your plan to explore the park. From grand lodges to romantic inns, we've got the best lodging recommendations, with just the right blend of rustic charm and modern comfort. If possible, we highly recommend staying inside the park, but we've also got the best lodging options nearby too.
Inside the Park: Top Sights and Reservation Rules
The park's most popular sights—Yosemite Valley's famous granite monoliths and waterfalls as well as the giant sequoias of Wawona and Mariposa Grove—are in the southwest section of the park. More remote areas such as Toulumne Meadows and Hetch Hetchy are popular for backcountry trails.
Reserve your room or cabin in Yosemite as far in advance as possible. You can make a reservation up to a year before your arrival (within minutes after the reservation office makes a date available, the Ahwahnee, Yosemite Lodge, and Wawona Hotel often sell out their weekends, holiday periods, and all days between May and September). Book directly through Delaware North Companies Parks and Resorts.
Best In-Park Lodging: Reviews and Location
Outside the Park: Nearby Towns and Attractions
Marking the southern end of the Sierra's gold-bearing mother lode, Mariposa is the last moderate-sized town before you enter Yosemite on Route 140. In addition to a mining museum, Mariposa has numerous shops, restaurants, and service stations. Motels and restaurants dot both sides of Route 41 as it cuts through the town of Oakhurst, a boomtown during the Gold Rush that is now a magnet for fast-food restaurants and chain stores. Oakhurst has a population of about 13,000 and sits 15 mi south of the park. The gracious Sonora, 70 mi west of the park via Routes 120 and 49, retains evidence of its own vibrant, Gold Rush history. Stroll Washington Street and see Old West storefronts with second-story porches and 19th-century hotels. The tiny town of Lee Vining, near the park's eastern entrance, is home to the eerily beautiful, salty Mono Lake, where millions of migratory birds nest. Visit Mammoth Lakes, about 40 mi southeast of Yosemite's Tioga Pass entrance, for excellent skiing and snowboarding in winter, with fishing, mountain biking, hiking, and horseback riding in summer. Nine deep-blue lakes form the Mammoth Lakes Basin, and another hundred dot the surrounding countryside. Devils Postpile National Monument sits at the base of Mammoth Mountain.
Best Nearby Lodging: Reviews and Distance from the Park
Château du Sureau: 16 mi from Southern Entrance
Evergreen Lodge: 1 mi from Western (Hetch Hetchy) Entrance
Narrow Gauge Inn: 4 mi from Southern Entrance
Tamarack Lodge Resort: 30 mi from Eastern (Tioga Pass) Entrance
Plan Your Yosemite Trip
- Yosemite National Park Travel Guide
- Yosemite National Park Hotel Reviews
- Sights & Attractions in Yosemite National Park
Photos: Courtesy DNC Parks & Resorts at Yosemite, Inc.
You May Also Like
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
We have found that for our family ski vacations staying in the community of Yosemite West is a great option. The vacations homes there are perfect for families and the area is very close to Badger Pass. We prefer this location to staying in Valley hotels.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com