Great Beaches in Europe
The Fodor's Community—from our forums, offices, Facebook, and Twitter—has contributed some of their top stretches of sand throughout Europe. Whether you are looking for beauty, nightlife, or even a little history, you'll find many of the favorites in Greece and Spain.
Do you agree with these choices? Share your best European beach experiences in the comments below.
"Vis, Croatia. Crystal clear water in a gorgeous setting, with it all to yourself." —Facebook user Laura D.
"Any beach on Mykonos in Greece. :)" —Facebook user Chelsea S.
"Crete for both nightlife and beauty." —Forum's member sheila
"Rhodes - Lindos is one of the most memorable beaches I have visited (and there have been many!). We took the public bus there from Rhodes Town on several days - you must go there for the beach, village, tavernas, views!" —Forum's member parosblue
"I really got a lot out of seeing the beaches at Normandy and imagining myself there on D-Day. What would I have been feeling and seeing. Would I have even survived?" —Facebook user Jo A.
"Forte dei Marmi in Tuscany is nice." —Fodor's editor Matt_L
"In terms of natural beaches absolutely none of Europes beaches come close to those in the Caribbean, other than those on Sardinia." —Forum's member humptynumpty
"North Holland beaches!" —Facebook user Celia F.
"Algarve in Portugal, or Madeira Islands. Very popular beach destinations with European travelers." —Fodor's editor Molly_M
"Nightlife and beaches: central Algarve (Albufeira, Praia da Rocha).Natural beaches: eastern Algarve (Tavira)." —Forum's member MyriamC
"Scotland - west coast islands-for everything except guaranteed sun"—Forum's member sheila
"I could recommend Barceloneta in Barcelona, which is fun for people-watching. Castell in Palamos and Cap de Creus in Cadaques de Palafrugell (both in the Costa Brava of Spain) are also beautiful and well preserved." —Fodor's editor Maria_H
"Tossa de Mar is one of the most beautiful, enchanted, and majestic beaches of Costa Blanca in Barcelona. This beach was made famous by one of the most beautiful women of the world, Ava Gardner from the movie Pandora and the Flying Dutchman." —Facebook user Kyriaki C.
See our Europe Beach Itineraries to start planning your trip.
Photo Credits: Navagio Beach (Smugglers Cove) in Greece by rusmrusm / iStockPhoto, Beach umbrellas in Positano, Italy courtesy Fodor's member Ann Forcier.
You May Also Like
Member Comments (5) Post a Comment
Greece is definitely on top of my list! Mykonos is mesmerizing!
Plaka Beach on the Greek island of Naxos is a beautiful, soft sand beach with clear blue water. A fantastic beach for sunning and swimming. It was similar to the beaches in the Grenadines of the Caribbean.
Tricase in Puglia!
My parents live on Skiathos (where parts of Mamma Mia were filmed), there are some fantatstic beaches there, about 60 on a small island.
I think Elafonissi, in sud-west of Creta is one of the best beaches in Europe. Clear water, white sand, wide bay and absolutly wonderful view from the top of the hill, which slowing down to the sea
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com