Philly Wants High Line Like NYC
Residents in Philadelphia are raising money in hopes that the success of New York's High Line fuels plans to build a similar structure in their city.
The project has piqued the interest of city officials who've seen the Big Apple's west side promenade—plus giving Philly its own could save $14 million in bringing new life to a run-down neighborhood.
A three-block section of the Reading Viaduct—a mile-long stretch of train tracks that haven't been used since 1984—is being considered to be transformed into an elevated park-like walkway. Demolishing the viaduct would cost millions more than revitalizing it, officials said.
Much like in New York, a grassroots group is responsible for kick-starting the project. Formed in 2003, the Reading Viaduct Project has documented the viaduct's history and is trying to attract donors. The non-profit says that it currently has more than 200 supporters. [The Associated Press]
Taking a trip to Philly soon? Check out our Philadelphia Travel Guide for the best planning information and more.
Photo credit: courtesy saikofish / flickr
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com