Hawaii's 5 Best Clothing Boutiques
If traveling to the Aloha State, don't miss the chance to catch the Hawaiian-print trend that covered spring runway shows of fashion's heavy hitters, from Diane von Furstenberg to Tracy Reese. In addition to stocking big names, boutiques in Oahu, Kauai, and Maui are dedicating ample rack space to the best pieces from local designers. Whether searching for a strappy evening dress or a sleek swimsuit, we've got your shopping needs covered with a curated list of places to hit.
For the High-End Label-Lover
A slick, high fashion store, Aloha Rag (pictured above) is a fresh alternative to standard island girl fare. Since 1991, founder Tatsugo Yoda fills her Honolulu shop with forward-thinking designer daywear for both women and men. Find edgy pieces from Maison Martin Margiela and Alexander Wang, on-trend dresses by 3.1 Phillip Lim, and hard to find labels like Alaia and Dries van Noten.
For the Earthy Fashionista
Olive Boutique, located on Oahu's North Shore, has a great mix of eco-friendly, surfer-inspired wear from around the globe. This three-year-old shop carries items such as sustainable bamboo sunglasses from the Long Beach, California line Yellow 108, floaty, silk caftans from local label Gillia, and funky scarves made from recycled t-shirts by Wanko Wanko.
For the Savvy Shopper
Reyn Spooner is a classic brand name as far as Hawaiian-print shirts go. Reyn's recently paired up with hip bi-coastal boutique Opening Ceremony on a capsule line of men’s and womenswear. While Reyn's main location in Honolulu is at Ala Moana Center, locals know to head to Reyn's Downtown Rack (125 Merchant St., 808/524-1885) for discontinued styles and prints. For island-hoppers, there are two Reyn Spooner stores on the Big Island, and one on Kauai.
For the Bohemian Goddess
For a laid back look that's not too kitschy, head to Tamara Catz on Maui for embroidered tunics and batik-print, silk-chiffon dresses that have earned her a loyal international following. The Buenos Aires native offers her clientele dressier alternatives to typical Hawaiian standards. There's also a solid collection of bridal dresses perfect for beachside nuptials.
For the Sporty Beach Babe
Located near stunning Hanalei Bay on Kauai's North Shore, I Love Hanalei (5-5106 Kuhio Highway, 808/826-5560) has the best swimwear on the island. Try slipping into a bikini by Acacia, a local line started by Naomi Newirth and Lyndie Irons (wife of pro surfer Andy Irons), recently featured in the Sports Illustrated 2011 Swimsuit issue, or a suit from Shimmi, a Los Angeles-based line started by two former models.
Heading to Hawaii soon?
You May Also Like
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Just wanted to make a correction. Olive Boutique is NOT located on Oahu's North Shore. Olive Boutique is in Kailua, which is on the East side of the island. However, Guava Shop, which IS on the North Shore is a LOVELY boutique.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com