Weekend Ski Report: There's Snow in Idaho
Unless you can jet off to the Swiss Alps, which is seeing record snowfall this winter, skiing options are limited in North America as the snow drought continues. But the good news is that while conditions at big-name mountains may be less than ideal, fresh powder sits atop deep bases in several less obvious locales—from Idaho to Arizona.
While it's true that the snow pack in Idaho has hit a 20-year low, conditions there are better than in most places. Lookout Pass, in northern Idaho, had 6 inches fall earlier this week on top of its 5-foot base, while at Schweitzer, also in northern Idaho, there's 5 inches resting on a base that's 6-feet deep. And at Arizona's Sunrise Park, a couple of inches fell on about 4 feet of packed powder last night.
North American resorts that saw record-breaking snowfall last season have leaned heavily on snowmaking this year to drive in business. The only upside for customers is that the marketplace is being flooded with deals to draw people to the slopes. And because January is Learn to Ski and Snowboard month, there are freebies and discounts galore to snag at more than 300 resorts in 32 states.
Are you planning a ski trip soon? We want to hear about it! Share your thoughts with the Fodor's community on our forums.Photo credit: Brundage Mountain, Idaho, timmyjimi / flickr
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com