Latest and Greatest Hotel Amenities
Hotels are doing more than just upgrading decor to woo their guests—they’re pulling out all the stops, from fostering the latest cutting-edge technology to revolutionizing room service. Herewith a roundup of the latest and greatest hotel amenities, touting some of our favorite bells and whistles.
Check-In Shake Up
Hyatt’s Andaz Hotels forgo a lobby reception desk in favor of Tablet PCs manned by a free-roaming staff. The idea is to remove the barrier between hotel guest and employee and make the check-in/checkout process friendlier and faster.
Room Service Remake
The value-priced, style-conscious PUBLIC Chicago is changing the way we order in. Forget over-priced entrees, 30-minute waits, bellhop delivery, and even tipping. The new room service concept, PUBLIC Express, delivers affordable gourmet treats, courtesy of Jean-Georges Vongerichten, by way of brown to-go bags (and in under 10 minutes). All lunch items come with chili-lime chips, bittersweet chocolate pudding with crystallized violets, and bottled Fiji water, and cost between $10 and $15.
iPads for All
Forget media rooms and loaner laptops. Now you can have an iPad all to yourself for the duration of your stay. New York’s Mondrian SoHo, Royalton and Plaza Hotel, and London’s Eccleston Square have all jumped on the in-room iPad bandwagon.
Phones For Key Cards
Overnight and a Show
More and more hotels are moonlighting as intimate concert venues. The Royalton New York is rocking a free live music series at bar Forty Four (Tuesdays through Thursdays, from 6.30–9.30pm); the W Austin has its own theater; the Ace New York hosts indie talent every Sunday evening in its lobby; and the Loews Atlanta showcases a roster of up-and-coming musicians through its LIVE at Loews program.
Free Zipcar Rentals
Book a stay at any AKA Hotel, swish extended-stay properties in New York, DC, and Philly (LA and London hotels coming in spring 2012), and pick up a complimentary one-year membership to car-sharing company Zipcar. Guests may apply at www.stayaka.com beforehand and pick up their Zipcar key card at check-in.
Photo Credit: courtesy PUBLIC Chicago
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferrygo-today
- $116* & up -- Last-Minute Las Vegas Flights on American, R/TAmerican Airlines
- $84 -- Summer Sale: Myrtle Beach Hotel along the BoardwalkDriftwood at the Boardwalk
- $829* & up -- Scandinavia Late Summer & Fall Sale Fares, R/TScandinavian Airlines
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% OffSheraton Boston
- $835 & up -- Sheraton Maui 3-Night Trip w/Car RentalPleasant Holidays