Tip of the Week: Impress the locals with your language skills from Fodors.com!
Passport, toothbrush, teddy bear (we don't judge), and vocabulary—essentials on any trip. If you're taking a vacation it's critical to learn at least some of the basic words and phrases in the language of your destination. No one wants to be the tourist ordering "foy grass" at the upscale French bistro, or worse, paying an astronomical price for cheese at that bustling Italian market. A perfect primer for your pending plans? Fodor's Language for Travelers guides!
Fodor's has teamed up with the lingual geniuses at Living Language to build a library of words, phrases and language knowledge free for your use. Each language comes with over 150 words and phrases, both written and available to listen to, so you can nail that pronunciation before you board the plane. Learn useful grammar tips and categories of phrase like shopping, dining, and common greetings—a perfect reference for all you Fodorites weighing in on local language etiquette in forums like this one. Print out a handy PDF guide to take with you as you ciao, guten tag and kon'nichiwa your way around the world. Bon voyage!
Photo Credit: Tourist couple via Shutterstock
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com