Tip of the Week: Hike Wyoming Backcountry with a Llama at your Side
The area around Jackson Hole, Wyoming is home to some of the most famous scenery in the country. Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park, the Jedediah Smith Wilderness—all provide opportunity for breathtaking experiences through America's vast and varied terrain. Backcountry hiking captures the spirit of our pioneering forebears. But let's face it, carrying your home and supplies on your back can put a damper on even the most scenic of hikes. Well now, you can unburden yourself with the aid of one tall, four-footed companion—the llama.
Several companies located in Jackson Hole offer "llamaneering" expeditions through the Yellowstone/Jedediah Smith region. Yes, that's right. Llamas are not just for farmers' market sweaters anymore. Take a guided backcountry trip through Wyoming's wilderness with a human guide and a llama providing freight service, carrying tents, poles, food, and supplies while you explore the area freed from the weight of all that equipment. Known for their endurance and gentleness, llamas easily take to the mountainous terrain and provide quiet companionship. (Plus, really, how cute!)
Hikes generally run three to five days and vary in difficulty, allowing you to tailor to your level. Depending on the company you choose, rates can start at $625/person. While backcountry hikes with llamas tend to start closer to mid-summer and run through September, at least one outfitter, Jackson Hole Llamas, offers single day hikes starting in June, for $125/person.
Along with these friendly beasts of burden, the companies generally provide most camping equipment, food and supplies, though it's best to check trip details and equipment lists when you reserve. Another company, Yellowstone Safari Company, provides llamaneering expeditions exclusively to Yellowstone. Trips are already beginning to fill up, so reserve yours soon!
Photo credits: Courtesy of Jackson Hole Llamas
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- 4 Perfect Japan Itineraries
- NYC's Best New Outdoor Watering Holes
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com