News Stories Tagged Louisiana
The US South has a bit of everything. It is a culinary mecca, has stunning scenery, and boasts charming, historic towns to spare. Here are four itineraries for a summertime trip down to Dixie.
The New Orleans Jazz Festival is a force to be reckoned with—a fact we learned firsthand attending this year's 44th annual fest in the pouring rain. It was still awesome.
Whether you're Big Easy-bound for the Super Bowl, Mardi Gras, or just a weekend of great food and drink, there's no lack of fabulous places to imbibe. We did our homework and came up with the top 5 to hit now.
What would a trip to the Big Easy be without some mouthwatering food and strong, delicious cocktails? Take this insider's lead and hit these spots to watch in NOLA now.
The city may be famous for Mardi Gras, but it's Jazz Fest that really trumpets The Big Easy's musical heritage. So head south from April 27 through May 6 for the true sounds, and tastes, of New Orleans.
The New Orleans festival season is in full swing—Mardi Gras finishes up this week, the French Quarter Fest gets going April 12–15, and Jazz Fest hits town April 27–May 6 with an amazing lineup. Whether you’re headed south for the fêtes or anytime in between, there’s a new French Quarter hotel worth checking out (er, into).
If you're in New Orleans today for Mardi Gras, and all that bead-gathering has made you hungry, head to the aptly named Upperline Restaurant, on Upperline Street for a true taste of the Big Easy.
If you're planning to eat a muffuletta, a huge sandwich made with Italian meats and cheese, at Central Grocery—the best place for them in New Orleans—you'll probably do fine with half, unless you're absolutely starving!
If there's a line for table service at Café du Monde in New Orleans, head around back to the takeout window and get your coffee and beignets to go. Enjoy them overlooking the river right next door, or in Jackson Square.
When we found out that Serious Eats, our favorite foodie blog, was publishing a book on the best eats in America, we got an exclusive list of the most travel-worthy, must-try dishes in the country.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $161-$186 -- Downtown 4-Star Pittsburgh Hotel, up to 45% OffThe Westin Convention Center, Pittsburgh
- $3664* & up -- Business Class to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $159 & up -- Historic San Francisco 4-Star Hotel, 50% OffWestin St. Francis
- $1449 & up -- Balcony: Summer France, Italy & Spain CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% OffThe Westin Copley Place
- $874* & up -- Flights to Japan on Sale (R/T, w/Tax)Featured Destination: Japan