News Stories Tagged Puerto Vallarta
While family trips to the zoo can be fun, we recommend taking the experience to another level by getting up close and personal with animals themselves. At the following resorts and attractions in nearby sunny locales, families can swim with manatees, play with dolphins, and even—if you’re brave—feed a lion!
Last week, just before Spring Break season kicked off, the US Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs an updated warning for US travelers in Mexico. The department’s primary concern is with the activity of Transnational Criminal Organizations (TCOs), whose clashes with Mexican authorities and each other have caused a surge in violence in certain areas of the country.
For a walking vacation, stay in Old Vallarta or Marina Vallarta. This includes El Centro (with its hilly, cobblestone streets and excellent views) and the Romantic Zone south of the Cuale River (where you’ll find more shops, restaurants, hill-free walking, and Los Muertos beach). Hotels here range from inexpensive to moderate. Marina Vallarta, too, is a place you can stay relatively car-free, though a bicycle is handy. Hotels here tend to be more luxury-oriented.
This includes El Centro (with its hilly, cobblestone streets and excellent views) and the Romantic Zone south of the Cuale River (where you’ll find more shops, restaurants, hill-free walking, and Los Muertos beach). Hotels here range from inexpensive to moderate. Marina Vallarta, too, is a place you can stay relatively car-free, though a bicycle is handy. Hotels here tend to be more luxury-oriented.
If you don't feel like partaking of what the vendor's offering, don't feel pressured. Although it might feel rude, it's culturally permissable to smile and firmly say "no, gracias" only once with no further eye contact, or simply ignore itinerant vendors, especially if you're in the middle of a conversation. Being blatantly impolite, of course—i.e., shouting at the vendor to take a hike—is rude, no matter where you're from.
In the fourth of a series of articles about travel to Mexico, Fodor's Editor Kelly Kealy talks about a recent trip to Michoacán state.
Even if you only glimpse it from shore, spotting a pod of whales in the Pacific is one of Mexico's definitive experience. If you're lucky, you'll see a mama whale teach her young one the not-so-delicate art of breaching. Baja has gray whales in its waters from December to April; in particular, Laguna San Ignacio and Bahia Magdalena on the Pacific Coast seem to sing out a siren call to grays. They come in droves to give birth or mate. Sightings are also good between Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo.
In the third of a series of articles on travel to Mexico, Fodor's editor Eric Wechter heads to Puerto Vallarta and discovers Mexico's safest bet.
In the first of a series of articles on travel to Mexico, a Fodor's editor—with the help of a few Fodor's writers and readers—weighs in on current safety south of the border.
The spa trend in Mexico, particularly in vacation hot spots like Puerto Vallarta, shows no signs of slowing. From elegant resort spas scented with essence of orange and bergamot to Aztec-inspired day spas, each has its own personality and signature treatments. Competition keeps creativity high, with an ever-changing menu of new treatments, many using native products like sage, chocolate, aloe vera, and even tequila. Here are our favorites.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top Winery Restaurants Around the World
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- 14 Things to Do in Paris with Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $103 -- 4-Star Washington, D.C.-Area Hotel, 50% OffThe Westin Alexandria
- $179-$239 -- 4-Star Fort Lauderdale Resort, Save $120The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa
- $204 & up -- 4-Star Toronto Hotel, Pay Birth Year for 2nd NtSheraton Centre Toronto
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% OffThe Westin Copley Place
- $135 & up -- Charlotte, N.C.: Uptown Hotel, $200 OffThe Westin Charlotte
- $159 -- Nassau 4-Star Beachfront Resort, 40% OffSheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino