News Stories Tagged South Carolina
The US South has a bit of everything. It is a culinary mecca, has stunning scenery, and boasts charming, historic towns to spare. Here are four itineraries for a summertime trip down to Dixie.
What's the best way to beat winter blues? Getting the rental process started for this summer's dream beach vacation. In just a few months, you'll be asking, "Why don't we live here all year long?"
Charleston is a food-lover's haven and the Lee Brothers are its culinary gatekeepers. They're the purveyors of classic southern eats, they write about traveling in South Carolina, and they've got a new Charleston-inspired cookbook out this month. We're all ears, boys.
You head home for Thanksgiving every year—why not get the family together somewhere new? From beachy Kiawah Island to colonial Mystic, these escapes might just inspire new family traditions.
Fall trips are for leaf-peeping, apple picking, and stopping to see modern sculptures in beautiful fields. (Duh.) These pinnacles of nature and art are some of America's most treasured outdoor exhibitions.
Everyone is getting into the holiday spirit, even some of our favorite North American hotels. These deals will help improve your holiday cheer, whether you want to revel in the celebratory spirit or escape the crowds for a romantic break.
Now that summer has officially arrived, crowds are going to be flocking to the coast to beat the heat. We've got some insider best bets for the most blissfully uncrowded stretches of sand from Massachusetts to South Carolina.
From the first shots fired on Fort Sumter to the surrender at Appomattox Court House, the Civil War Sesquicentennial will commemorate this tumultuous period in U.S. history. Many of the famous battlefields and historic sites are preserved for today's visitors.
This month marks the 145th anniversary of Robert E. Lee's surrender to Ulysses S. Grant at the Appomattox Courthouse. Yet you don't have to be a history buff to appreciate the significance of these seminal venues; in ways large and small, they helped determine the course of U.S. history.
With the temperature beginning to dip in the North, your thoughts may turn to that summer vacation you never quite got around to. Fear not: there's still time to nab a last bit of warm weather. Head to South Carolina where temperatures linger in the 70s through November, the crowds thin out, and hotel prices drop. I recently took a trip to Myrtle Beach and Charleston to scout out two types of trips: a long weekend with the kids, and a romantic getaway to reconnect with your partner before the holiday season.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- 4 Perfect Japan Itineraries
- NYC's Best New Outdoor Watering Holes
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com