News Stories Tagged buenos aires
The seemingly spring-like weather of late has got us all longing for summer, which is why a trip to Buenos Aires right now is more appealing than ever. It’s 80 degrees and sunny in the Argentine capital. Translation: alfresco dining at world-class cafes, tango in the streets, and cold Quilmes cervezas (when you break from Malbec, of course). Best of all, even though it’s high season, we’ve brokered a deal just for Fodors.com readers at one of the city’s foremost designer boutiques.
Buenos Aires' official tourism body runs a free, 24-hour tourist-assistance hotline with English-speaking operators: 800/999-2838.
Buenos Aires has always been a magnet for artists, drawn to the capital city for its unique mix of Latin and European culture. The heart of the art scene lives in the city's many neighborhoods, where the walls of eateries and bars are lined with locals' work. And if you're lucky, you might rub elbows with the creators while sipping your Malbec.
Reading trip reports from other travelers can be an invaluable resource for planning your next vacation. They're often great for gathering information on topics such as what to expect when you land, where to find top hotels and the best under-the-radar restaurants, and when to book ahead for must-do activities. Essentially, it's all about the experience of what worked—and perhaps even more importantly, what didn't.
What could be spookier than traipsing through a graveyard on All Hallows Eve? Visit one of these six famous cemeteries—all top attractions as the final resting places of several famous people—for a dose of fright-filled fun.
Make sure you specify the kind of medialunas you'd like. These croissantlike pastries are a café breakfast staple, and come in two types.
These city buses, or "collectives," were taxi drivers’ answer to the difficulties of the Great Depression, and behave much like a regular bus line today. They’re also a strong symbol of civic pride and a great way to explore the city. Consult a Guia T, found at most larger kiosks for about 3 pesos, to figure out which line you need and which street you should walk on to find a parade, or stop. When you see your bus coming, hail it like a cab, wait for it to come to a rolling halt (at best), and say "ochenta, por favor" to the driver before plunking your 80 centavos (change given, but only coins accepted) into the ticket machine. As you ride, pay attention to where you are, as stops aren’t routinely announced. Push a stop request button when you see your destination coming up. Retain your ticket, as police occasionally board to check and administer fines.
When it comes to tango, emotions ride high. From its beginnings, the dance and its two-four beat marked and reflected the character of Buenos Aires. Whether you want experience it through impassioned dancing or tortured lyrics, here are our picks of the city's top tango spots.
Walking around where most of the locals are dead might not be at the top of your sightseeing list, but it should be. Here are four of our favorites: two you might have heard of, and two you might otherwise have overlooked.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com