News Stories Tagged hong kong
Head through the courtyards and start your visit to the Sam Tung Uk Museum in the exhibition hall at the back, where a display gives helpful background on Hakka culture and pre-industrial Tsuen Wan - explanations are sparse elsewhere.
To check your fortune at the Man Mo Temple in Hong Kong, stand in front of the altar, ask a question, select a small bamboo cylinder, and shake it until a stick falls out.
At the Heritage Museum in Hong Kong, don't miss the opera hall's virtual makeup display, where you get your on-screen face painted like an opera character.
Hong Kong accounts for 50% of the world market for shark. The expensive shark’s-fin soup, considered by locals to be an aphrodisiac, is made with the great beast’s pectal, dorsal, and lower tail fins.
No trip to Hong Kong would be complete without doing so. In often humble, fabric-cluttered settings, customers on record include such notables as David Bowie, Kate Moss, Jude Law, and Queen Elizabeth II.
The year 2011 is almost upon us so we've rounded up nine cities around the globe that celebrate the New Year with style. Find your perfect party, from family-friendly affairs to all-night debauchery to classic celebrations.
Offerings include feng shui tours, tai chi and tea appreciation classes, and even free rides on the fully restored fishing junk the Duk Ling (bring your passport to prove you’re from out of town).
If you’re on Hong Kong Island and feeling a little disoriented, remember that Victoria Harbour is always north; in Kowloon it’s always south. You can use the Island’s mountains as a guide, too; the Central district backs onto the slopes of Victoria Peak, so the districts south of it—the Midlevels and the Peak—look down on it.
Although mainland law forbids that any item more than 120 years old leave China, Hong Kong isn't held to this rule. It's perfectly legal to ship your antique treasures home.
Not many cities have a metro system as efficient, reliable, spotless, and user-friendly as Hong Kong's Mass Transit Railway. All signs and maps are in Cantonese and English, and the six train lines take you all across Hong Kong Island and the Kowloon Peninsula.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferrygo-today
- $95 -- 4-Star San Diego Gaslamp Quarter Hotel; Next 2 WeeksHotwire.com
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $859 & up -- Mediterranean 7-Night Summer CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $1089* & up -- Prague Late Summer Sale Fares, R/TLufthansa
- $999 & up -- Berlin Late Summer Sale Fares, R/TLufthansa