News Stories Tagged japan
From following the Olympic torch straight to the July 27th opening ceremony to avoiding Canadian airport scanners, and everything in between, here's what we're reading now.
Where the old Palace Hotel in Tokyo once stood, the new Palace Hotel Tokyo is set to open its doors next month with unparalleled views of the Imperial Palace.
Japanese travel agency KIE/Kintetsu International, in partnership with Japan Airlines, is now offering travelers a multi-day package that includes the first ever non-stop flights from Boston to Tokyo.
With mid-cruise voyages to distant landlocked spots as well as uncommon ports of call closer to home, here are some top choices for the most unique cruising itineraries of 2012.
Reading trip reports from other travelers can be an invaluable resource for planning your next vacation. They're often great for gathering information on topics such as what to expect when you land, where to find top hotels and the best under-the-radar restaurants, and when to book ahead for must-do activities. Essentially, it's all about the experience of what worked—and perhaps even more importantly, what didn't.
If Japan tops your list of must-see destinations, don’t miss a chance to score a free trip. But better act fast, because you have less than a month to throw in your hat.
March's earthquake and resulting tsunami caused massive destruction along the coast of north-eastern Honshu but had a relatively modest impact on the rest of the country. Thanks to our team of Japan updaters, here's a summary of the affected areas and what you need to know about the ongoing rebuilding and repair.
Many airlines have announced low-to-no-fee travel waivers, re-booking, or cancellation options in the wake of Japan's devastating earthquake and tsunami. Some tickets can only be changed for a limited time, and can't be rebooked online, so it's best to act now. Plus, direct from our forums, travelers share their thoughts on their upcoming Japan trips.
At 2:46pm local time, an 8.9 magnitude earthquake struck Japan. "The Ring of Fire" is unfortunately living up to its name. Combined with the recent earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand, the devastation in Japan proves that the Pacific Rim is where many of the world's most deadly and unpredictable seismic events occur. While there's a lot we still don't know about the Japan earthquake, here are a few things we do know.
Japan's vending machines, ubiquitous and indicative of the technology-rich culture, aren't exactly healthful—offering sugar-laden coffee, colas, and even alcohol. However, new machines are geared toward the health-conscious. Dole installed banana dispensers around Shibuya Station in Tokyo, targeting hurried commuters with no time for breakfast. The fruit is lightly refrigerated and gently lowered to the opening to avoid bruising. Single bananas and bunches are available.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 OffSheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
- $874* & up -- Flights to Japan on Sale (R/T, w/Tax)Featured Destination: Japan
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $109 & up -- Oceanview Room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 25% OffCompass Cove Oceanfront Resort
- $899* & up -- Germany Summer & Fall Sale Fares, R/TLufthansa
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand