News Stories Tagged south africa
Plan to spend US$15 to US$25 a day (per traveler) on gratuities. In South Africa tips are on the higher end of this range and usually are paid in rand (the local currency); you may also use U.S. dollars for tips, however. Elsewhere in southern Africa, U.S. currency is preferred.
Are you dreaming of an Out of Africa experience or capturing the Big Five—buffalo, elephant, leopard, lion, and rhino—on film? Every day of an African safari is truly unforgettable, from early-morning game drives to amazing stargazing. To inspire your own adventure, here are our top regions to explore.
It's not hard to get swept up in the frenzy that is the Discovery Channel’s annual Shark Week. If watching the great white sharks on TV doesn’t soothe your curiosity, then head to Gansbaai, South Africa May through August (a.k.a Prime Great White viewing season).
Inspired by the setting of the exciting World Cup? Even if it's too late to watch the final match in person, there are many exciting adventures to be had in South Africa long after the vuvuzelas quiet down. From coastal Cape Town to the wilds of Kruger Park, here are some other classic experiences to inspire your trip.
Program your credit cards for ATM use in South Africa before leaving home. (Most South African ATMs take five-digit PIN numbers.)
Whether you're traveling to Cape Town for the World Cup, or are inspired to go from the mesmerizing views of nearby Table Mountain you're sure to see, here's how to maximize your trip.
Tourism is likely to increase once the world sees how much South Africa has to offer. While the spotlight will be on Capetown these next few weeks, Johannesburg is a fantastic jumping-off point for safaris and many other South African attractions. Here's how to make the most of your time there.
American citizens need a valid passport with two blank facing visa pages to enter South Africa for visits of up to 90 days; this includes infants. If your passport will expire within six months of your return date, you need to renew your passport in advance, as South Africa won't let you enter with a soon-to-expire passport.
So you want to see Africa's legendary wildlife but don't want to rough it? No problem. Our favorite lodges will tempt you to defect from the real world forever to live like kings and queens.
Starting May 1, 2009, South African Airlines will be offering nonstop service from JFK to Johannesburg. Whereas the old schedule required most travelers to spend the night in Johannesburg before embarking on their safari (or making their next connection), the new schedule means they will arrive at 8:45AM with a day's worth of travel possibilities ahead of them. Flights from Washington D.C.'s Dulles airport, though not direct as of May 1st, will also be available. This savings on overnight accommodation in Jo'burg is a well-timed development in an economic climate where every penny counts.... Photo courtesy of WireLizard on Flickr...
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $181 & up -- Myrtle Beach Resort w/Breakfast for Two PackageBeach Colony Resort
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferrygo-today
- $59* & up -- Nationwide Fall Fare Sale, One WayVirgin America
- $179-$239 -- 4-Star Fort Lauderdale Resort, Save $120The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa
- $835 & up -- Sheraton Maui 3-Night Trip w/Car RentalPleasant Holidays
- $1555 & up -- Scotland 6-Nt. Bed & Breakfast Escape w/AirSceptre Tours