VIDEO: US Airforce's Aircraft 'Boneyard'
You have got to take a moment and watch this video recently produced for Airman, the official magazine of the United States Air Force. The beautiful, tender short takes viewers through the 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group (AMARG), commonly known as the "Boneyard," at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson, Arizona. The article that accompanies the video describes AMARG as a "2,600-acre parking lot and storage facility for about 5,000 retired military aircraft," ranging from B-52 Stratofortresses to C-5 Galaxies.
But what the AMARG really represents is the history of military air combat in the United States, the machinery of war, and the pilots who loved it. Retired planes here stand ready to offer their parts to active duty aircraft, or after they endure a long preservation process, are returned back into service. Rather than a pit of skeletal remains, says the author, the Boneyard is a place of rebirth.
"They don't come here to die, they're just taking a break," says aircraft mechanic Bill Amparano in the piece.
Bus tours of the Boneyard are offered by the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tuscon, Arizona. Tickets are $7/adult and $4/child, and seats are first-come, first-served. Call 520-574-0462 for tour times and other information.
Deanna Cioppa is a freelance writer and editor based in New York City. When not in the air or on the road, she can be found bellied up to a raw bar, martini in hand, or in the mountains, martini in pack. She's a regular contributor and guest editor of Fodors.com, and has written for Gadling, BudgetTravel.com, ShermansTravel.com, GO Magazine, and others. www.deannacioppa.com or @likeitsmyjob
Photo credit: AMARG courtesy of Wikimedia/ Rottweiler
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- 4 Perfect Japan Itineraries
- NYC's Best New Outdoor Watering Holes
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com