World's First Gelato Museum Opens in Italy
Last week in the town of Anzola dell'Emilia outside Bologna, Italy, history was made. Delicious, frozen history. Carpigiani, a gelato-maker manufacturer, opened the doors to the Carpigiani Gelato Museum. History buffs and ice cream lovers everywhere all screamed for Italian ice cream.
"The objective of the Carpigiani Gelato Museum is to become a point of reference for the sector, to highlight the roots and history of this quality food and the gelato artisans that produce it, bringing excellence, creativity, and flavor to customers worldwide," said Romano Verardi, President of the Bruto and Poerio Carpigiani Foundation in a statement to the press.
The museum, connected to the Carpigiani headquarters, is 1,000 square meters of gelato history, featuring 20 original gelato machines and 10,000 images and artifacts curated from the vast and enduring history of this delightful treat. According to a report by Reuters, the exhibits take visitors from the early days of the Arabic "shrb" or sugar syrup through the first ice cream presented by Cosimo Ruggieri, alchemist to the Medicis, in the 16th century, to the iced creations of Chinese tradition, to early automatic gelato machines from the 1930s.
Once visitors have tempted their tastebuds with 1,000 square meters of flavorful facts, they will be able to purchase gelato at a shop outside the museum. Anything less would be sadistic on the part of the company, really.
Photo Credits: Photos courtesy of Gelato Museum Carpigiani
You May Also Like
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Great news it is. This museum will be one of the nice places to visit in Itlay. Thank you very much for sharing this information here with us.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- 4 Perfect Japan Itineraries
- NYC's Best New Outdoor Watering Holes
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com