- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
Trains are by far the most comfortable and convenient option for getting to and from Alexandria, and the travel time and ticket prices are the same in either direction. Turbo trains are the fastest (average journey time a little over two hours), and tickets for these services cost E50 for first-class and E35 for second-class. Tickets for the slower Express services (average journey times 3¼ hours) are E35 for first class and E19 for second class.
Currently Turbo trains depart Cairo at 8 am, 9 am, noon, 2 pm, 6 pm, and 7 pm. Returning Turbo trains depart Alexandria at 7 am, 8 am, 2 pm, and 7 pm.
Express trains depart Cairo at 6, 7, 8:15, 10, and 11:15 am, 12:15, 1, 2:15, 3, 4, 4:15, 5:15, and 8:15 pm. Returning Express trains depart Alexandria at 6:15, 8:15, and 11:15 am, 12, 12:30, 3, 3:30, 4, 5, 5:15, 6, 8, and 10:15 pm.
Be sure to confirm the scheduled departure times in advance. Seats are reserved, and tickets are best bought a day in advance—a laborious process that requires a trip to the station. If you take your chances, there are almost always seats available for same-day travel (except on the morning Turbo services), though summer Fridays out of Cairo and Sundays out of Alexandria can be booked up. When arriving in Alex, do not get off at the first station in the city, Sidi Gabr, as many of the passengers will; the main station is Misr Station, one stop farther, which is the end of the line.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Egypt Experience IExplore
- Egypt Family IExplore
- Egypt & Kenya Experience — $7,749 IExplore
- The Nile Revealed — $6,895 IExplore
- Egypt Family — $1,849 IExplore