- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
Picturesque and cheap, Alexandria's trams are likely to take four to five times longer to get where you're going than a taxi would. The main station is Raml, near Maydan Sa'd Zaghlul. Buy tickets onboard.
Blue trams (25 pt) run east: numbers 1, 2, 6, and 8 terminate at al-Nasser (formerly Victoria) College, Tram 3 at Sidi Gabr (by the sea; a two-hour trip), Tram 4 at Sidi Gabr Station, and Tram 5 at San Stefano. Yellow trams (25 pt) run west: Tram 16 goes to Pompey's Pillar (a 40-minute trip), Tram 11 to the Nouzha Gardens, and Tram 15 to Ras al-Tin. Numbers are marked—only in Arabic—on cards in the front windows, but the newer trams now have maps inside.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 5-Star Hilton Alexandria Green Plaza Fr $177+/Nt Save with Expedia, $51/night less
- May deal: Four Seasons Alexandria Fr $502+/Nt Expedia
- May deal: Sheraton Montazah Fr $135+/Nt — $135 Expedia