- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
The pleasantest shortcut to learning about a culture is through its cuisine. And there's no better place in Aswan to begin your education that in this upmarket eatery floored in green marble and flooded with welcome air-conditioning. The menu offers staples like grilled meats accompanied by vegetable dishes—this is one of the few places that serves loubia (black-eyed peas)—salads, bread, and tahini. But go deeper. Order the stuffed pigeon (or a small stuffed chicken if pigeon's not available): If it's stuffed with rice, it's being served Nubian-style; Egyptian-style stuffing is made with fereek (cracked wheat). Don't be afraid to order whatever you see on someone else's table—chances are that your neighbors are Egyptian and will welcome your curiosity. There's no outdoor seating area, however.
- Address: Shara Abtal el-Tahrir, Downtown, Aswan
- Phone: 010/464-6605
- Location: The West Bank
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
Its been a week since my 7 day trip to Egypt with my boyfriend, and I better write it all down lest i forget! Read more
I've been studying forums for recommendations of tour groups for Egypt trip next April with grandson. Read more