- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
Frequented by Egyptians and foreigners, the well-known El-Masry is a cool refuge from the rigors of the souk. The restaurant's been running since 1958 and has an American-diner-meets-French-café appeal. A broth of lamb and beef, a plate of rice, a dish of veggies, and a basket of whole-wheat flatbread precede the charcoal-grilled meats. Service is quick. No alcohol is served.
- Address: Shara Matar, just off Shara al-Souk, Downtown, Aswan
- Phone: 097/230-2576
- Location: The West Bank
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
Its been a week since my 7 day trip to Egypt with my boyfriend, and I better write it all down lest i forget! Read more
I've been studying forums for recommendations of tour groups for Egypt trip next April with grandson. Read more