- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Islamic Cairo North
If the Mamluks hadn't stopped the Mongols' furious advance at Ain Djalout (Palestine) in AD 1260, Cairo, like Baghdad and scores of other towns, might have been left in rubble. As it is, Misr al Mahrousa—a popular appellation that translates as "Egypt the Protected"—offers one of the richest troves of Islamic architecture in the world. This is also because Cairo has been the capital of Islamic Egypt since its founding. Today the areas between Bab al-Futuh and Bab al-Nasr in the north and the Mosque of Amr in the south are still home to a rare concentration of buildings that represents a continuous, evolving architectural tradition.
Unfortunately, Islamic monuments don't attract as many visitors as pharaonic ones, and government funds for restoration haven't been so generous. A great many buildings were seriously damaged in the 1992 earthquake (some areas still lie in ruins), but much of the al-Azhar area has undergone a facelift since the start of the new millennium, and a visit to these historic neighborhoods should figure prominently on your agenda. A walk along these time-warped streets studded with monuments from different eras offers a rare taste of the extravagant beauty that once characterized the heart of the city. It is a visit to the past, light years away from the behemoth that modern Cairo has become.
You can get a very good feel for this area in a half day, depending on how long you spend at each of the attractions. Leave enough time for a break and shopping afterward, if you wish. You can spend hours in the Khan al-Khalili, depending on how much browsing and haggling interests you. Keep in mind that most of the shops are closed on Sunday. Friday before noon is also a quieter time in the neighborhood.
Islamic Cairo North at a Glance
- Bab al-Futuh (the Futuh Gate)
- Bab al-Nasr (the Nasr Gate)
- Bayt al-Suhaymi
- Complex of Qalaun
- Khan al-Khalili
- Madrasa and Mausoleum of Sultan al-Salih al-Ayyubi
- Madrasa of al-Nasir Muhammad
- Madrasa of Mithqal
Elsewhere in Cairo
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Beautiful Egypt! Flights to Cairo From 696 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- 5-Star Four Seasons Cairo at Nile Plaza Fr $173+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $87/night less
- Cairo Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $130+/Nt Save with Expedia, $26/night less
- 5-Star Cairo Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1221 Expedia
- Sail to Cairo with Uniworld Boutique Cruises, 11 Nts Fr $4,299 Expedia