- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Islamic Cairo South
Here is a teeming, commercial area, more typically Egyptian and less geared toward tourism than the Khan area. But if you feel like shopping, you can find all sorts of postmodern "1,001 Nights" gear here, from pierced brass lanterns to Asian spices and teapots to pigeon-feather fans.
Anecdotes abound with regard to Bab Zuwayla, the southern gate of Fatimid Cairo: the severed heads of criminals were displayed there, warning of the perils of breaking the sultan's law; a troll was said to live behind the massive door; and the surrounding area was the center of activity for crafty ladies of the night who sometimes held their customers for ransom. On the way to Bab Zuwayla and beyond is a wealth of monuments. As in Islamic Cairo North, many buildings here are being restored, but there are a few gems that you shouldn't miss, culminating at the Museum of Islamic Arts, at the end of the walk.
There is much to capture the attention in this area, but relatively few monuments are open for visiting. Depending on how long you spend along the way and in the tent-makers' bazaar, this area is worth three or four hours, excluding lunch and the visit to the Museum of Islamic Arts; set aside about an hour for the latter.
Islamic Cairo South at a Glance
- Abd El Rahman M. Harraz Seeds, Medicinal, and Medical Plants
- Al-Azhar Mosque and University
- Bab Zuwayla
- House of Gamal al-Din al Dhahabbi
- Mosque and Tomb of Qijmas al-Ishaqi
Elsewhere in Cairo
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Beautiful Egypt! Flights to Cairo From 696 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- 5-Star InterContinental Cairo Semiramis Fr $91+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $34/night less
- Save in Cairo: Book 3 Nts in May at President Fr $62+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 5-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Cairo Fr $1217 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 11 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $4,299 Expedia