- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Kom Aushim Review
The Greco-Roman town site of Karanis is on the desert road on the way into the Fayyum, and it feels like a ghost town. It includes a temple dedicated to the local gods Petesuchs and Pnepheros, as well as the remains of houses, cooking installations, and bathrooms. Some of the latter are decorated with frescoes. A small museum at the entrance to the site contains two of the famed Fayyum Portraits, funerary masks laid over the faces of the linen-covered mummies. Some of the objects were unearthed here and others found elsewhere in the Fayyum and around Egypt. The collection also includes other mummies, statuary, relief fragments, a few objects of daily life, as well as Coptic and Islamic textiles and ceramics. It has a separate admission price.
- Address: Fayyum Desert Rd.
- Phone: No phone
- Cost: Site £E25, museum £E10
- Hours: Daily 9--4
- Location: The Fayyum
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Beautiful Egypt! Flights to Cairo From 696 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- $131 & Up: Fairmont Heliopolis 5-Star Hotel in Cairo Save with Expedia, $45/night less
- Starting Fr $49: Great Cairo Price Hotels.com
- Cairo 5-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1153 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 11 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $4,099 Expedia
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
Its been a week since my 7 day trip to Egypt with my boyfriend, and I better write it all down lest i forget! Read more
Ok, I'm off to Egypt in Novermber to take part in the Cross Egypt Challenge.
Now you're probably asking what the heck is that? Well I'm a scooter rider and this is Read more
· News & Features
From the depths of the Diwan bookstore to the flavors of a basterma croissant, author Pauls Toutonghi... Read more
Egypt has lured world wanderers for millennia with some of civilization’s grandest treasures.... Read more