- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Banking hours are Sunday through Thursday, from 8 am to 2 pm. The travel offices of American Express and Thomas Cook offer currency exchange, and there are numerous commercial exchange offices. Commercial exchange offices open later into the evening than banks and are, therefore, more convenient. Many larger hotels have bank branches within. Your hotel will also change currency directly, but may offer a poor rate of exchange.
You'll find lots of ATMs across the city, at bank branches, in shopping malls, and in hotel lobbies. You can rely on getting access to Egyptian pounds from ATMs in Cairo—though not so much in the rest of the country as machines are not filled up as regularly outside the capital.
Keep any receipts from currency exchange of ATM withdrawals, as you may need to show these to customs officials.
Credit Agricole Egypt. 2-6 Shar'a Hassan Sabry, Zamalek, Cairo. www.ca-egypt.com.
BNP Paribas. Nile Towers, Downtown, Cairo. www.egypt-bnpparibas.com.
HSBC. 1005C Nile City Towers, Bulaq, Cairo. www.egypthsbc.com.
National Bank of Egypt. 24 Shar'a Sherif, Downtown, Cairo. www.nbe.com.eg.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Beautiful Egypt! Flights to Cairo From 696 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Save in Cairo: Book 3 Nts in May at President Fr $62+/Nt Expedia
- 5-Star InterContinental Cairo Semiramis Fr $91+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $34/night less
- Save at 5-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Cairo Fr $1198 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $2,949 Expedia