The Sinai Peninsula and Red Sea Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
A Day Trip to Petra
One of the most popular excursions from all Sinai resorts is a day trip to the rose-red city of Petra, in Jordan at the northern tip of the Red Sea. It's a long journey from Sharm El-Sheikh, but only a couple of hours' travel from Nuweiba or Taba.
The capital of the Nabataean Empire, which grew rich on trade after the 4th century BC, the city thrived until the 4th century AD and is famed for its excellent collection of rock-cut buildings. The facade of the Treasury will be familiar to you if you have seen Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
While the trip into Petra is best done at dawn, it's still worth it to enter later in the day if this is likely to be your only chance to visit. Of course, some people simply choose to visit Petra for a two-day trip before their return home. Before you travel, find out from your travel agent if a day trip to a neighboring country is allowable with your Egyptian visa.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Hurghada Savings! Book at Steigenberger Al Dau Beach Fr $77+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Book SUNRISE Holidays 3 Nts in May Fr $93+/Nt Save with Expedia, $23/night less
- Hurghada Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $89+/Nt — $89 Expedia
- Magma Apartments - Hurghada Dream in May: $29 & Up — $29 Save with Expedia, $19/night less
- Save at 4-Star Sol Y Mar Club Makadi: $130 & Up in May — $130 Save with Expedia, $9/night less