- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
The easiest way to get to Sharm El-Sheikh from the Red Sea Coast is by ferry. Sharm El-Sheikh-Hurghada ferries operate daily with an alternating slow and fast ferry service. The trip takes two to three hours by fast ferry and six hours by slow ferry, depending on sea conditions, and costs are $50 per sector for fast ferries, $40 for slow ferries. Prices for foreign nationals are quoted (and payable) in U.S. dollars, but if you pay by credit card, you will be charged in the equivalent price in Egyptian pounds. Payment can be made directly in U.S. dollars. At this writing, fast ferries operate Monday, Thursday, and Saturday; slow ferries operate on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, although these timetables are subject to regular changes.
Red Sea Jet Company. 02/257-61798 in Cairo; 012/822-9877 in Sharm El-Sheikh; 065/344-9481 in Hurghada.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Festival Riviera Fr $85+/Nt Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Hurghada Savings! Book at Steigenberger Al Dau Beach Fr $77+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Book SUNRISE Holidays 3 Nts in May Fr $93+/Nt — $93 Save with Expedia, $23/night less
- Hurghada Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $89+/Nt — $89 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Hurghada Fr $50+/Nt — $50 Expedia