Western Desert Oases Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to The Western Desert Oases
Dune Bashing in Siwa. Set out in a four-wheel-drive vehicle to explore the towering golden dunes of the Great Sand Sea.
Sunsets in the White Desert. Watch the color of the chalk columns change and mellow as the sun drops over the desert.
The Bagawat Necropolis. Peer into early Christian history at this sprawling ancient burial site in Kharga.
The Golden Mummies. Examine one of the famous gilded faces on display at the Antiquities Inspectorate in Bahariya.
Explore Al-Qasr. Wander the well-preserved streets of this abandoned medieval town in Dakhla renowned for its Islamic mud-brick architecture.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Egypt Experience IExplore
- Egypt Family IExplore
- Egypt & Kenya Experience — $7,749 IExplore
- The Nile Revealed — $6,895 IExplore
- Egypt Family — $1,849 IExplore