- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
On Route 40, between Beersheva and Eilat, 21 km (13 mi) south of Avdat, 80 km (50 mi) south of Beersheva. Egged Bus 392 runs four times a day from Beer Sheva to Mitzpe Ramon (an hour and three-quarters drive); there are no direct buses from Jerusalem.
If you're continuing south to Eilat, you can still see the crater, as Route 40 goes right through it; just try to plan your day so that you won't be driving to Eilat after dark. There are no gas stations between Mitzpe Ramon and Yotvata, a distance of more than 100 km (62 mi).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Leonardo Plaza Eilat in May: $888 & Up Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Eilat this May Fr $183+/Nt Expedia
- $312 & Up: Le Meridien Eilat 4-Star Hotel in Eilat — $312 Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Crowne Plaza Eilat Fr $230+/Nt — $230 Expedia
- Save in Eilat: Book 3 Nts in May at Magic Palace Fr $265+/Nt — $265 Expedia