- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Succah in the Desert
At a Glance
- homemade vegetarian breakfasts and dinners included in the price
- great for stargazing
- can be cold during the desert nights
- difficult to reach without a car
Succah in the Desert Review
In the middle of nowhere (but accessible by unpaved road) is this out-of-the-ordinary encampment of huts (like the portable dwellings used by the Children of Israel when they wandered in this desert). On a rocky hillside are eight isolated dwellings, 150 meters apart, each made of stone and wood, with a palm-frond roof. For the rugged traveler seeking the starkness and purity of the desert, it's an appealing example of ecotourism. Each succah has a carpet on its earthen floor and a mattress with cozy blankets; household essentials include a tea corner, a clay water jar, and copper bowls for ablutions. The units are solar-powered, and there's an ecological-toilet cabin. Guests eat in the communal succah. You can ask a staff member to pick you up from outside the Ramon Inn. Plan to arrive before dark.
- Address: On road to Alpaca Farm, 7 km (4½ mi) west of Mitzpe Ramon, Box 272, Mitzpe Ramon, 80600 | Map It
- Phone: 08/658-6280
- Website: www.succah.co.il
- Location: Mitzpe Ramon and Makhtesh Ramon
- 8 units that sleep 2, 1 unit that sleeps 10, all with shared bath.
- Rate includes some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Eilat Savings! Book at The Orchid and Eilat Fr $1,999+/Nt Expedia
- $230 & Up: Crowne Plaza Eilat 4-Star Hotel in Eilat Expedia
- $208 & Up: Leonardo Royal Eilat 3.5-Star Hotel in Eilat — $208 Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Eilat this May Fr $268+/Nt — $268 Expedia
- Save in Eilat: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $412+/Nt — $412 Expedia
Our trip to Israel was the most extraordinary journey that we have ever experienced, and we travel often. Read more
January 2013 - One short week - 3 nights Tel Aviv, 2 in Eilat, 1.5 in Jerusalem.
This was my 7th trip to Israel and I lived there for a year way back in 1998. I've already seen most of the sights, so Read more
We've been to Jerusalem, but missed the Israel Coast. Read more
· News & Features
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more