- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Tisch Family Zoological Gardens
Tisch Family Zoological Gardens Review
Spread over a scenic 62-acre ridge in the Judean Hills, this zoo has many of the usual species that delight zoo visitors everywhere: monkeys, snakes, and birds, for example. But it goes much further, focusing on two groups of wildlife. The first is creatures mentioned in the Bible that have become locally extinct, some as late as the 20th century. Among these are Asian lions, bears, cheetahs, the Nile crocodile, and the Persian fallow deer. Plaques on the enclosures give biblical references and modern information. The second focus is on endangered species worldwide, among them the Asian elephant and rare macaws. This is a wonderful place to let kids expend some energy (and adults to have some downtime from regular touring). Early morning or late afternoon are the best hours in summer; budget 2½ hours for a really full visit. A wagon train does the rounds of the zoo, at a nominal fee of NIS 2 (not on Saturdays and Jewish holidays). The Noah's Ark Visitors Center has a movie and computer programs. The zoo is served by the Circle Tour bus (line 99), and by city routes 26 (from Central Bus Station) and 33 (from Mt. Herzl). The ride is about 30 minutes; a cab would take 15 minutes from Downtown hotels.
- Address: Near the Jerusalem (Malcha) Mall, Malcha, Jerusalem | Map It
- Phone: 02/675-0111
- Cost: NIS 46
- Hours: June--Aug., Sun.--Thurs. 9--7, Fri. 9--4:30, Sat. 10--6; May, Sun.--Thurs. 9--6, Fri. and Jewish holiday eves 9--4:30, Sat. 10--6; Sept.--Apr., Sun.--Thurs. 9--5, Fri. and Jewish holiday eves 9--4:30, Sat. 10--5. Closing times in Apr. and Sept. are sometimes late; call ahead. Last entrance 1 hr before closing.
- Website: www.jerusalemzoo.org.il
- Location: West Jerusalem
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2599 -- Israel: 8 Nts. w/Hotels, Tours & Airfare, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
Our trip to Israel was the most extraordinary journey that we have ever experienced, and we travel often. Read more
January 2013 - One short week - 3 nights Tel Aviv, 2 in Eilat, 1.5 in Jerusalem.
This was my 7th trip to Israel and I lived there for a year way back in 1998. I've already seen most of the sights, so Read more
We've been to Jerusalem, but missed the Israel Coast. Read more
· News & Features
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more
It happens all the time: you're just stopping in to grab one thing and the next thing you know, you've... Read more