- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bible Lands Museum
Bible Lands Museum Review
Most archaeological museums group artifacts according to their place of origin (Egyptian, Babylonian, and so on), but the curators here have abandoned this method in favor of a chronological display. The museum was the brainchild of the late Elie Borowski, whose personal collection of ancient artifacts forms its core. The display method allows a comparison of objects of neighboring cultures of the same period. Exhibits cover a period of more than 6,000 years—from the prehistoric Neolithic period to that of the Byzantine Empire—and sweep geographically from Afghanistan to Nubia (present-day Sudan). Rare clay vessels, fertility idols, cylinder seals, ivories, and sarcophagi fill the soaring, naturally lighted galleries. Look for the ancient Egyptian wooden coffin, in a stunning state of preservation.
The concept of the museum is intriguing, but some have criticized its methodology. A concept was imposed on a largely preexisting collection, rather than a collection being created item by selected item to illustrate a concept. Plan on an hour or 90 minutes to see the place; join the guided tour to get the most out of a visit. The museum runs a Saturday-night concert series, with cheese and wine served in the foyer. The NIS 75 ticket (sometimes cheaper) includes access to the exhibition areas, with the option of a free highlights tour, for one hour before and 30 minutes after the concert.
- Address: 25 Granot St., Givat Ram, Jerusalem, 91046 | Map It
- Phone: 02/561-1066
- Cost: NIS 40
- Hours: Sun.--Tues. and Thurs. 9:30--5:30, Wed. 9:30--9:30, Fri. and Jewish holiday eves 9:30--2, Sat. 10--3. Closed on Jewish religious holidays. Guided tours in English Sun.--Fri. at 10:30 (Wed. at 5:30 in addition); call ahead to verify.
- Website: www.blmj.org
- Location: West Jerusalem
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Sale! Flights to Tel Aviv From 627 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book in Tel Aviv: Save this May Fr $103+/Nt Save with Expedia, $18/night less
- Tel Aviv Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $138+/Nt Expedia
- Save in Tel Aviv: Book 3 Nts in May at Leonardo Basel Fr $162+/Nt — $162 Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Tel Aviv this May Fr $190+/Nt — $190 Save with Expedia, $19/night less
Our trip to Israel was the most extraordinary journey that we have ever experienced, and we travel often. Read more
January 2013 - One short week - 3 nights Tel Aviv, 2 in Eilat, 1.5 in Jerusalem.
This was my 7th trip to Israel and I lived there for a year way back in 1998. I've already seen most of the sights, so Read more
I'm planning on summer 2014, for about 2 weeks. Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger?... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more