- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bus Travel: Egged operates the extensive bus service within Jerusalem. The fare is NIS 6.20; you do not need exact change. A cab is more time-effective, and for a group often more cost-effective as well. Egged operates Route 99, a two-hour circle tour of Jerusalem for visitors with 24 stops. The route begins at the Central Bus Station; cost is NIS 60 for one full trip.
Car Travel: Walking and taking cabs or a guide-driven tourist limo-van are often more time-effective than a car.
Light Rail Travel: At the time of this writing, Jerusalem's much-delayed light rail system (www.citypass.co.il) was slated to begin operating in 2011. The Red Line, the first to open, will begin at Mt. Scopus and run along Jaffa Street to the main bus station. It will then head southwest on its way to Mt. Herzl and Hadassah Hospital.
Taxi Travel: Taxis can be flagged on the street, ordered by phone, or picked up at a taxi stand or at major hotels. The law requires taxi drivers to use their meters.
Train Travel: Train service between Jerusalem and the coast takes about an hour and 20 minutes—good at rush hour, but 50 minutes slower than the bus at other times. The fare to or from Tel Aviv is NIS 39 round-trip.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Sale! Flights to Tel Aviv From 627 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book the Dizengoff Sea Residence 3 Nts in May Fr $103+/Nt Save with Expedia, $18/night less
- May deal: Olympia Fr $138+/Nt Expedia
- May deal: Leonardo Boutique Tel Aviv Fr $155+/Nt — $155 Expedia
- Crowne Plaza Tel Aviv City Center in May: $215 & Up — $215 Expedia