- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
If you're driving from Beit She'arim or Haifa on Route 75, Route 77 breaks off to the north—to Zippori, the Golani Junction, and Tiberias. Route 75 continues to skirt the north side of the picturesque Jezreel Valley as it climbs into the hills toward Nazareth; at the crest of the hill, Route 60 from Afula joins it. A turn to the left takes you down to Paulus VI, Nazareth's main drag. If you pick up Route 77 from the opposite side, from Tiberias and points north, a left turn onto Route 764 takes you into Nazareth's Paulus VI Street. Nazareth's Central Bus Station is downtown on Paulus VI Street, near the Basilica of the Annunciation.
Nazareth itself is mired in traffic but the historic and religious sites are all close together, so it's best to park and walk.
Both Egged Tours and United Tours run one-day tours three times a week that take in Nazareth, Capernaum, Tabgha, the Sea of Galilee, Tiberias, and the Jordan River. Current prices are US$79 from Tel Aviv, $82 from Jerusalem.
The Old City tour that begins daily at the Fauzi Azar Inn is unique in that it skips religious sites almost entirely (except on Sundays, when shops are closed), and focuses instead on the colorful sights, sounds, and smells of daily life in Nazareth. You'll be taken, for example, to shops in the souk where owners will let you taste their wares; to unique and charming gift shops far from city center; and to various coffee shops, whose managers will sit with you if they have time and answer your questions about Nazareth life and culture. The Fauzi Azar tour is also the only means of access for visitors to the St. George Greek Orthodox monastery, where you'll have the rare opportunity to see a priceless collection of icons and an underground cave where Christians hid from their enemies in the 5th century. Tours are daily at 9:30 am and costs NIS 20 plus NIS 15 to NIS 20 for tastings and site admissions.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Sale! Flights to Tel Aviv From 627 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Dizengoff Sea Residence on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $103+/Nt Save with Expedia, $18/night less
- Small budget: Stay in Tel Aviv this May Fr $138+/Nt Expedia
- Tel Aviv Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Leonardo Basel Fr $162+/Nt — $162 Expedia
- Tel Aviv Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Grand Beach Fr $190+/Nt — $190 Save with Expedia, $19/night less