If you're traveling along the Kings Highway from Madaba, a 10-km drive will take you to Mount Nebo, the vantage point from where Moses first saw the Holy Land (Num. 23:14). A pleasantly landscaped, tree-lined path takes you to the lookout from the parking lot and on a clear day you can see across the Jordan Valley and the Dead Sea to the Judean Hills, and even to the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem. There are ongoing excavations here that have uncovered a Byzantine church with some extremely well-preserved mosaics, though not much can be seen at this writing.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2599 -- Israel: 8 Nts. w/Hotels, Tours & Airfare, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- Wild Zambia IExplore
- iExplore Maasai Mara & Mombasa Experience — $3,775 IExplore
- Ancient Crossroads of Turkey & Armenia — $8,795 IExplore
- Morocco Experience — $2,319 IExplore