- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Moulay Idriss is Morocco's most sacred town, the final resting place of the nation's religious and secular founder, Moulay Idriss I. It is said that five pilgrimages to Moulay Idriss are the spiritual equivalent of one to Mecca; thus the town's nickname: the poor man's Mecca. A view over the town is a panoramic and informative look at a provincial Moroccan village, but it must be said that Moulay Idriss, for all its importance to Moroccans, is of only marginal interest to visitors compared to other Moroccan sights and scenes. Non-Muslims are not allowed inside the tomb at all, and until recently were not allowed to spend the night in town.
A splash of white against Djebel (Mt.) Zerhoun, Moulay Idriss attracts thousands of pilgrims from all over Morocco to its moussem in late August or early September. Fantasias (Berber cavalry charges with blazing muskets), acrobats, dancers, and storytellers fill the town, while hundreds of tents cover the hillsides. Non-Muslims are welcome to attend the secular events.
Moulay Idriss at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 4-Star Riad au Vingt Jasmins Fr $211+/Nt Expedia
- Fes Savings! Book at Menzeh Zalagh Fr $95+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Fes: Save at the Zalagh Parc Palace in May Fr $98+/Nt — $98 Expedia
- Save at 3-Star Riad Dar Chrifa: $91 & Up in May — $91 Expedia
- Fes Savings! Book at Dar el-Ghalia Fr $110+/Nt — $110 Save with Expedia, $19/night less