- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Marrakesh Three Ways
It's best to visit the north of the medina in the morning, when you're likely to have plenty of energy for the rigors of the souk and the tanneries. Start by enjoying breakfast from a terrace café overlooking the Djemâa el Fna and watching the human bazaar on display. Then plunge into one of the roads running north into the souk, where you can window-shop on your way to the Qoubba Almoravid, the Musée de Marrakesh, and the Ali ben Youssef Medersa. You'll also pass some fondouks, medieval warehouses and inns that are still in use. From here you can continue on Rue Bab Debbagh toward the tanneries.
Take a tour of the southern medina, home to many of Marrakesh's historic monuments, for something slightly gentler. Start with a walk around the Koutoubia Mosque, then head down to Bab Agnaou and the Saadian Tombs. Afterward, retrace your steps and turn right into the narrow walled street just before the Bab Agnaou. Walk almost to the end of the wall; then turn right again and continue on this street to Place des Ferblantiers. When you go through the Bab Berrima arch you'll be in a large, rectangular enclosure. Look for the entrance to El Badi Palace to pay a visit. Return through the arch and walk a few minutes northeast through the Mellah to La Bahia Palace and Dar Si Saïd, two derbs north on Riad Zitoun Jdid. From here it's a short walk north on Riad Zitoun Jdid to Djemâa el Fna, where you can stop for lunch.
Scenic spots on the city's perimeter make for a lovely sunset jaunt, whether on foot or during a calèche ride. Relax in the Menara Garden or (on Friday and Sunday only) the Agdal Garden, via the Méchouar; or tour the Ramparts or, just outside town, the Palmery.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Marrakech this May Fr $295+/Nt Expedia
- Book Meriem in May: Save 30% on this stay! Save with Expedia, $24/night less
- Marrakech Savings! Book at Dellarosa suites & spa Fr $73+/Nt — $73 Save with Expedia, $16/night less
- Save in Marrakech: Book 3 Nts in May at Riad Catalina Fr $110+/Nt — $110 Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Dar Baraka Karam Fr $102+/Nt — $102 Expedia