- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Drink in the Views
Nowhere is café culture busier than on Djemâa el Fna, where several terraces compete for the award for best view of the square.
Café Argana. At this writing, the famous Café Argana was being restored following a terrorist attack in April 2011. The Moroccan authorities and local people have pledged to restore the famous landmark to its former glory, providing one of the best view across the Place Djemâa el Fna from its terraces. Once it reopens, stop by for at least a mint tea, if only to show solidarity. 1-2, Pl. Djemâa el Fna, Medina, Marrakesh. 0524/44-53-50.
Les Terrasses de l'Alhambra. Les Terrasses de l'Alhambra in the square's northeastern corner is the classiest option, with decent pizza and pasta and warm wood panels. It's tucked away at the edge of the square, but still has lovely views. Bag a seat on the top terrace. No credit cards are accepted and no alcohol served. Place Djemâa el Fna, opposite Café de France, Marrakesh. 0663/18-93-60.
Café de France. Just opposite Les Terrasses, Café de France is much past its prime, but as long as you're only interested in a late-night hot chocolate with a good view (it stays open until 11 pm), it does the trick; go right up to the top terrace corner. Place Djemâa el Fna, on northeastern corner, Medina, Marrakesh. 0524/44-23-19.
Grand Balcon du Café Glacier. To catch the sunset and the beginnings of the alluring smoke and sizzle of the grills, the rightly named Grand Balcon du Café Glacier, to the south of the square, is a top choice. It shuts relatively early, though, and you'll have to compete for elbow room with all the amateur photographers who throng the best spot. Service is slow and soft drinks overpriced—but that's not unexpected for this birds-eye view. Place Djemâa el Fna, south side, Medina, Marrakesh.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Marrakech Savings! Book at Ryad Mogador Opera Fr $55+/Nt Save with Expedia, $50/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Marrakech Fr $145+/Nt Expedia
- Marrakech Savings! Book at Ryad Mogador Menara Fr $106+/Nt — $106 Expedia
- Book in Marrakech: Save at the Islane in May Fr $48+/Nt — $48 Expedia
- Marrakech Savings! Book at Riad Les Lauriers Blancs Fr $76+/Nt — $76 Save with Expedia, $26/night less