Shopping in Marrakesh
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Marrakesh is a shopper's bonanza, full of the very rugs, handicrafts, and clothes you see in the pages of magazines back home. Most bazaars are in the souk, just north of Djemâa el Fna and spread through a seemingly never-ending maze of alleys. Together, they sell almost everything imaginable and are highly competitive. Bargaining here is hard, and you can get up to 80% discounts. So on your first exploration, it's often a better idea to simply wander and take in the atmosphere than to buy. You can check guideline prices in some of the more well-to-do parts of town, which display fixed price tags for every object.
There are a number of crafts and souvenir shops on Avenue Mohammed V in Guéliz, as well as some very good Moroccan antiques stores and designer shops that offer a distinctly modern take on Moroccan clothing, footwear, and interior decoration. These have sprung up as part of a movement toward allowing buyers to browse at their leisure, free of the souk's intense pressures. Many show fixed prices, with only 10% discounts after haggling. Most of these stores are happy to ship your purchases overseas. The Central Market also has a bazaar section.
Bazaars open between 8 am and 9 am and close between 8 pm and 9 pm; stores in Guéliz open a bit later and close a bit earlier, some breaking for lunch. Some bazaars close on Friday, the Muslim holy day.
Browse Marrakesh Shopping
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 5-Star Ryad Mogador Menara in Marrakech Fr $106+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Marrakech: Save this May Fr $102+/Nt Save with Expedia, $39/night less
- Marrakech Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Islane Fr $48+/Nt — $48 Expedia
- Murano Marrakech in May: $271 & Up — $271 Expedia
- Les Deux Tours in May: $203 & Up — $203 Expedia