Sights & Attractions in Marrakesh
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Negotiating the twisting and turning alleys deep in the medina is a voyage in itself. If you don't hire a guide, keep a guidebook with you at all times. The medina, although not quite as enclosed and intense as the one in Fez, takes some patience—street names are often signposted only in Arabic. A small street is called a rue in French or a zencat in Arabic; an even smaller alley is called a derb. If you get lost, keep walking and you'll eventually end up at one of the 14 original babs (arched gates) that lead in and out of this ancient quarter. Most of the medina's monuments charge an entry fee of 10 DH-40 DH and have permanent but unsalaried on-site guides; if you use one, tip him about 30 DH-50 DH.
Guéliz, in comparison, is easy to navigate. The wide streets are signposted in French and lined with orange and jacaranda trees, office buildings, modern stores, and a plethora of sidewalk cafés.
Browse Marrakesh Sights
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Royal Mirage Deluxe Marrakech 3 Nts in May Fr $93+/Nt Save with Expedia, $92/night less
- Book 5-Star Ryad Mogador Menara in Marrakech Fr $106+/Nt Expedia
- Ryad Mogador Opera in May: $55 & Up — $55 Save with Expedia, $50/night less
- Marrakech Savings! Book at Kasbah Dar Ilham Fr $236+/Nt — $236 Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Marrakech this May Fr $362+/Nt — $362 Expedia