Golf in Cape Town
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Most golf clubs in the Cape accept visitors, but prior booking is essential. Expect to pay R250-400 for 18 holes and R200-350 to rent golf clubs. Most clubs offer equipment rental. You can also rent golf carts for around R200, but you are encouraged to employ a caddie instead, as this offers valuable employment to local communities. Expect to pay around R150 plus a tip of 10%-20% for good service. Founded in 1885, Royal Cape Golf Club is the oldest course in Africa and has hosted the South African Open many times. Its beautiful setting and immaculate fairways and greens make a round here a must for serious golf enthusiasts. 021/761-6551. www.royalcapegolf.co.za.
The challenging and scenic Steenberg Golf Estate is the most exclusive and expensive course on the peninsula. A round costs more than R500 per person unless you're staying at the hotel. Dress codes are strictly enforced here. 021/715-0227. www.steenberggolfclub.co.za.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel