Hiking and Canyoning in Cape Town
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hiking and Canyoning
Cape Town and the surrounding areas offer some of the finest hiking in the world. Take some of the mystery out of Table Mountain with a guide who will share information on the incredible diversity of flora and fauna you'll come across. Join walking (R600 half day) and climbing tours (R750 half day) with Venture Forth International Travel. 086/110-6548. www.ctsm.co.za.
Longer walking tours (four days and longer) outside Cape Town can be arranged through Active Africa 021/788-6083. www.active-africa.com.
Kloofing, known as canyoning in the United States, is the practice of following a mountain stream through its gorge, canyon, or kloof by swimming, rock hopping, and jumping over waterfalls or cliffs into deep pools. There are some exceptional kloofing venues in the Cape. Abseil Africa runs a kloofing and abseiling (rappelling) trip (R695) on the Steenbras River, better known as Kamikaze Kanyon. 021/424-4760. www.abseilafrica.co.za.
Table Mountain Walks offers various hikes, including options at Table Mountain and Silvermine Nature Reserve, with a well-informed guide (R400-R650). 021/715-6136. www.tablemountainwalks.co.za.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town Central Savings! Book at Taj Cape Town Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Cape Town Central Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $55+/Nt Expedia
- $3299+: South Africa: 12-Nt Getaway w/Air, Hotels & Transfers ShermansTravel
- Hot Deal on a 9 Nt Cruise! Royal Caribbean International Fr $659 Expedia
- Protea Breakwater Lodge in May: $107 & Up — $107 Save with Expedia, $35/night less