- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- important local art collection adorns the walls
- free airport transfers
- hand-finished laundry packed in tissue paper
- free, fully stocked guest pantry
- Kloof Road is busy, and paparazzi could be waiting as your limo exits
- often booked a year in advance
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Ellerman House Review
Without a doubt, this is one of the finest (and most exclusive) hotels in South Africa. Built in 1912 for shipping magnate Sir John Ellerman, the hotel sits high on a hill in Bantry Bay and has stupendous views of the sea. Broad, terraced lawns fronted by elegant balustrades step down the hillside to a sparkling pool. The drawing and living rooms, decorated in Regency style, are elegant yet not forbiddingly formal. Guest rooms have enormous picture windows, high ceilings, and exquisite bathrooms. The hotel accommodates only a handful of guests, and a highly trained staff caters to their every whim. In the kitchen chefs prepare whatever guests request—whether it's on the menu or not. All drinks except wine and champagne are included in the rates. If you're traveling with a group, or want absolute privacy, the adjacent Ellerman Villa is the way to go. Although costly (upwards of R40,000 a night), the villa can sleep up to 10 people. It is fitted out with all the newest media and lighting gizmos, as well as spalike bathrooms that are hard to leave. The views and service are the same as at the main house, but high-profile guests in search of absolute privacy book here. An additional R10,000 a day and the spa and its therapists are yours too.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
I have been attempting to book a trip to Africa for a year now, not sure I am any closer to an itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
When Hollywood came calling, these 10 hotels were ready for their close-ups.... Read more
Brooklyn's hot right now, particularly if you're in the Western hemisphere.... Read more
Whether its heights, speed, wild animals, or something else, we've all got a fear that needs conquering.... Read more