- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Church Square Review
Church Square bore witness to much of Cape Town's dark history. On the square's northern end is the former
An inconspicuous concrete plaque along Spin Street's median is all that's left of the Slave Tree, an enormous Canadian pine under which slaves were reportedly auctioned off. A section of the tree is on display at the District Six Museum.
Slave Lodge. Built in 1679 by the Dutch East India Company to house slaves, convicts, and lunatics, it also housed the supreme court from 1815 to 1914. The lodge now holds a museum with a sobering account of slavery in the Cape, as well as excellent and evocative temporary exhibits that tend to examine apartheid and racism. 49 Wale St., Cape Town Central, Cape Town, 8000. 021/460-8242. www.iziko.org.za/slavelodge. R15. Weekdays 10-4:30, Sat. 10-1.
Across from the slave tree on the square's eastern end is the entrance to the Gothic-style Groote Kerk. One of South Africa's most famous churches, the Groote Kerk (Great Church) was built in 1841 on the site of an earlier Dutch Reformed church dating from 1704. The adjoining clock tower is all that remains of that earlier building. Among the building's interesting features are the enclosed pews, each with its own door—prominent families would buy these so they wouldn't have to pray with the masses. The enormous pulpit is the joint work of famous sculptor Anton Anreith and carpenter Jan Jacob Graaff. The lions supporting it are carved from local stinkwood; the upper portion is Burmese teak. The organ, with nearly 6,000 pipes, is the largest in the Southern Hemisphere. Approximately 200 people are buried beneath the Batavian soapstone floor, including eight governors. There are free guided tours on request. Parliament St., Cape Town Central, Cape Town, 8000. 021/422-0569. Free. Weekdays 10-2; services Sun. at 10 and 7.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Cape Town Central Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Book 3-Star Sweet Lemon Boutique Bed & Breakfast Fr $55+/Nt Expedia
- $3299+: South Africa: 12-Nt Getaway w/Air, Hotels & Transfers ShermansTravel
- Explore The Caribbean with Royal Caribbean International Fr $659 Expedia
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Protea Breakwater Lodge Fr $107+/Nt — $107 Save with Expedia, $35/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
Single older guy, I am flying to Joberg, renting a car there and driving to Kruger. Read more
· News & Features
When Hollywood came calling, these 10 hotels were ready for their close-ups.... Read more
Brooklyn's hot right now, particularly if you're in the Western hemisphere.... Read more
Whether its heights, speed, wild animals, or something else, we've all got a fear that needs conquering.... Read more