- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cape Town Backpack
At a Glance
- good value for money
- on-site travel center to book excursions
- café with good coffee and reasonably priced meals such as filled tortilla wraps for R30
- you're staying in a hostel
- guests staying in dorm rooms may be noisy after a night's partying
Cape Town Backpack Review
Billed as a "luxury backpack" you'll stay here because the rooms are clean and cheap, but you'll return because of the community vibe created by the hands-on owners. Perhaps you'll make new friends at the Tuesday evening communal braai (barbecue) where meat and snoek (oily local fish) and sides are served at very reasonable prices (R90), or you'll appreciate its Fair Trade credentials and participate in its knitting project—there are knitting needles and wool in the common areas to make blankets for needy community members. There are 100 beds available, spread across four adjoining Cape Victorian houses, a large pool, and shared kitchen if you'd rather do your own cooking. The location is the great prize here, with Table Mountain in full view from outdoor areas. You're within easy walking distance of many great eateries and, if you're up to it, the steep walk up the hill to the Mountain cable-station. Although there's no on-site parking, there is a door guard who keeps his eye on the nearby public parking at night.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
When Hollywood came calling, these 10 hotels were ready for their close-ups.... Read more
Brooklyn's hot right now, particularly if you're in the Western hemisphere.... Read more
Whether its heights, speed, wild animals, or something else, we've all got a fear that needs conquering.... Read more