Shopping in Cape Town
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cape Town Shopping
When it comes to shopping, Cape Town has something for everyone—from sophisticated malls to trendy markets. Although African art and curios are obvious choices (and you will find some gems), South Africans have woken up to their own sense of style and creativity, and the results are fantastic and as diverse as the people who make up this rainbow nation. So in a morning you could bag some sophisticated tableware from Carrol Boyes, a funky wire-art object from a street vendor, and a beautifully designed handbag made by HIV-positive women working as part of a community development program.
Cape Town has great malls selling well-known brands, and the V&A Waterfront is an excellent place to start, followed by Cavendish Square in Claremont and Canal Walk at Century City, on the N1 heading out of town toward Paarl. But it's beyond the malls that you can get a richer shopping experience, one that will give you greater insight into the soul of the city and its people. Shopping malls usually have extended shopping hours beyond the normal 9-5 on weekdays and 9-1 on Saturdays. Most shops outside of malls (except for small grocery stores) are closed on Sunday.
Browse Cape Town Shopping
Browse Cape Town Shopping By Location
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town Central Savings! Book at Taj Cape Town Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Protea Breakwater Lodge Fr $107+/Nt Save with Expedia, $35/night less
- Save at 5-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Cape Town Central Fr $2080 Expedia
- Explore The Caribbean with Royal Caribbean International Fr $659 Expedia
- May deal: Sweet Lemon Boutique Bed & Breakfast Fr $55+/Nt — $55 Expedia