- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
There are several numbers you can call for general emergencies, including Vodacom mobile networks. Metrorail has its own security/emergency number. If you get lost on Table Mountain, call Metro Medical Emergency Services, and for all sea emergencies, call the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI).
Emergency services at public hospitals are overworked, understaffed, and underfunded. Visitors are advised to use private hospitals, which are open 24/7 and have ambulances linked to their private hospital group (although these services can transport patients to any health facility). Most public hospitals have facilities for private patients at lower rates than the fully private hospitals. Make sure you have medical insurance that's good in South Africa before you leave home.
Metro Medical Emergency Services (021/937-0300.)
National Sea Rescue Institute. 021/449-3500.
Police, fire, and ambulance services (107 from landline.)
Vodacom emergency services (112.)
Christiaan Barnard Hospital (021/480-6111.)
Constantiaberg Medi-clinic (021/799-2911.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Cape Town Central Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Book 3-Star Sweet Lemon Boutique Bed & Breakfast Fr $55+/Nt Expedia
- Cape Town Central 5-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $2126 Expedia
- Explore The Caribbean with Royal Caribbean International Fr $659 Expedia
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Protea Breakwater Lodge Fr $107+/Nt — $107 Save with Expedia, $35/night less